“A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.” Alexander Pope (Essay on Criticism)
In this week’s podcast I talk about the dangers of superficial learning and the benefits of the ‘Classical’ method of education that has been all but lost in today’s society. I talk about ancient civilisations, human origins and climate change as a way to demonstrate our penchant for drinking only “shallow draughts”. Delving deeply into topics that we believe are ‘a done deal’ is a foolproof way to exercise and transform our minds. Will you take up this week’s challenge to investigate the opposing side of an argument you are 100% sure of?
By looking at contentious issues we give our minds the exercise that is so often saved only for our bodies. Our minds can atrophy and as Einstein said, our eyes “are dimmed” when we disregard the mysterious. Whether we feel we don’t have the time or that we must rely only on experts to give us the truth, we are doing ourselves, the earth and humanity a disservice and hinder our psychological evolution.
So, drink deeply of the “Pierian spring”. The resources below will definitely get those grey cells working.
Visit the Resources page of my website for direct links to the videos below.
If you are listening in iTunes, please leave a rating to help spread the word.
Subscribe via www.samwelsby.com
45. Forbidden Archaeology – Michael Cremo (Ancient Civilisations)
46. Lost Civilisations and Secrets of the Past – Editors Pye and Dalley
47. Fingerprints of The Gods – Graham Hancock (Ancient Civilisations)
48. Magicians of The Gods – Graham Hancock (Ancient Civilisations)
52. Frozen Earth – Doug MacDougall (Science – Ice Ages)
56. 1984 – George Orwell (Political Fiction)
63. 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos – Jordan Peterson (Psychology)
21. Magical Egypt. There is another side of Egypt that is not so widely known. Egypt is also the land of secrets. Another history, a secret history, tells of Egypt as the inheritor of deep wisdom and magical ability from an even earlier culture.
44. Dr Don EasterBrook on Global Warming
45. Wikileaks on Climategate
46. Data or Dogma? (Climate Change Scientist Dr Judith Curry)
47. What is the Average Global Temperature? – Corbett Report
52. Forbidden Archaeology Micheal Cremo Google Talk
53. Joe Rogan Podcast with Hancock, Carlson & Shermer – Rise of Civilisation
79. Alex Epstein & Dave Rubin Talk About Climate Change
94. Feminism: Socialism in Panties – Karen Straughan
95. The Burden of Being Male – Karen Straughan
96. Rogan Argues with Thaddeus Russell About Men not Being Born Men
97. Mystery of the Sphinx – John Anthony West
98. The Sphinx, Goebekli Tepe, Ancient Catastropes – Dr Robert Schoch
99. Are Women and Men More Similar or More Different Biologically – Rogan/Peterson
100. Climategate ‘hide the decline’ Explained by Berkeley Professor Richard A. Muller
101. Climate Change Explained and Proof it’s Man Made (Dr. Michael E. Mann)