In this week’s podcast I talk about the tides of seemingly irrational thoughts and emotions that we can experience and how we can develop an inner community of characters to help process them. Whether we use a personality typing system, like the Enneagram, archetypes or something as common as a tarot deck, structuring our world in a symbolic framework will help take the sting out of overwhelming emotions.
I speak about the importance of religions and introduce author G.K Chesterton’s work, which gives us yet another perspective from which to view Orthodoxy of any kind. If we become too logical, we lock ourselves in a mental prison that seeks to know the ultimate truth, which is often only a fraction of the mystery that life presents us. If we allow our irrational thoughts to possess us, we invite another kind of madness that rips us from the fabric of reality and isolates us in a different way. As always, combining two sides of the same coin makes us richer.
If you are listening in iTunes, please leave a rating to help spread the word.
Subscribe via www.samwelsby.com
For personal mentoring sessions visit www.samwelsby.com/contact
For books and meditations visit www.samwelsby.com/shop
Visit the resources page for more direct links to the information below www.samwelsby.com/resources
4. Man and His Symbols – Carl Jung (Jungian Psychology)
7. Sacred Contracts – Caroline Myss (Psychology/Archetypes)
22. Understanding the Enneagram –D. Riso and R. Hudson (Personality Typing)
2. Spiritual Madness – Caroline Myss
3. Out of Your Mind – Alan Watts
20. Brilliant Madness: A Genius’ Descent into Madness. A Brilliant Madness is the story of a mathematical genius whose career was cut short by a descent into madness Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, Nash spent the next three decades in and out of mental hospitals, all but forgotten. During that time, a proof he had written at the age of 20 became a foundation of modern economic theory. In 1994, as Nash began to show signs of emerging from his delusions, he was awarded a Nobel Prize in Economics.
26. Jill Bolte Taylor: My Stoke of Insight (TED)
76. Jordan Peterson: Mysticism, Spirit and the Shadow
83. Science Vs God – Is There A Life Force That Transcends Matter? (Sheldrake/Brand)
91. David Bowie &The Story Of Ziggy Stardust
137. Bill Burr – “You People Are all the Same.” (How to Raise a Kid- Clip)
138. Jordan Peterson – Cambridge University Talk
139. Global Priorities Bigger Than Climate Change – Bjorn Lomborg (TED Talk)